Ok, all you Star Wars freaks, the rumors have been 100% confirmed. Darth Vader will make his appearances in the all new Star Wars: Rogue One set to hit theaters this December! The exciting news came out after an Entertainment Weekly post confirmed the rumors through the studio directly.
The new films story line features Jyn Erso, a Rebellion soldier and criminal, is about to experience her biggest challenge yet when Mon Mothma sets her out on a mission to steal the plans for the Death Star. With the aid of the Rebels, a master swordsman, and non-allied forces, Jyn will be in for something bigger than she thinks. The planet-sized weapon was Vader’s pet project, so seeing him featured again isn’t a total surprise. Still, it’s nice to finally have the information 100% locked down after several months of speculation and crazy guesses.
The new film from director Gareth Edwards will finally fit all the pieces together to form a full story and reveal never before seen characters, while also reintroducing a few classic ones.
Here’s what else to expect this week from Lucasfim’s secret plans according to the reports:
- The background of our cover showcases new Imperial weaponry being used against the nascent Rebellion: taller, slimmer walkers known as AT-ACTs hauling cargo, and flatter, fang-like interceptors known as TIE Strikers.
- New information about Jyn Erso (The Theory of Everything’s Felicity Jones), the outlaw who has clashed with both the Rebellion and the Empire, and now has a chance to clear her ledger of past wrongs by leading a mission for the good guys. It’s also personal – her father, played by Mads Mikkelsen, is a scientist whose knowledge is sought by both sides.
- Full details of the squad of characters uniting to take on the Empire, played by the most multicultural cast to appear in a Star Wars film yet: Diego Luna, Jiang Wen, Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, Forest Whitaker, and Alan Tudyk – as a performance-capture droid. (One of these has been seen before by Star Wars fans.)
- A look at the skullduggery inside the Imperial ranks, as seen through the eyes of a new villain: Ben Mendelsohn’s ambitious officer, who’s eager to earn the favor of the Emperor – and avoid the wrath of his black-masked enforcer.
- Candid revelations from the filmmakers about what the current re-shoots are adding to the story as the film nears its December release.
- Finally, confirmation of what fans have hoped ever since the project was announced: Vader is back. We have a run-down of the Sith lord’s first day on set, and what his return means for the larger Star Wars storytelling universe.
As you can see there is a lot planned for the upcoming film, that industry analysts are saying will “smash all previous held box office records”.
Here is the most recent “teaser” trailer released by Disney Studios: