By now you’ve probably seen the movie trailer for Suicide Squad which comes out August 5, 2016. You probably recognized Will Smith, maybe even the blonde girl (Margot Robbie), and a few others. What do you know about the actor who plays The Joker? Anything?
Following are the Top 10 Things to Know about the man behind The Joker, Jared Leto.
1. He’s 44! Leto looks much younger than his 44 years which he partially attributes to his vegan lifestyle. He’s 5’9”, a Capricorn (known for work ethic and longevity), his birthday is Dec 26, and he was born in Louisiana. He got into acting as a way to get into directing.
2. He was a teen heartthrob. He started out as Jordan Catalano on the teen drama “My So Called Life” in the 90’s. If you watched the show you’ll remember him. If you haven’t it’s on Hulu.
3. He had a pink Mohawk. Leto has become known as being a chameleon with his looks and his hair. He’s looked Goth, he’s looked punk, and he’s even looked, 80’s hairband. He started the man-bun trend when he wore one on the red carpet during the 2013 award season.
4. He was sued by his record label for $30 Million! Leto started the band “30 Seconds to Mars” with his brother Shannon in 1998. The band’s debut album came out in 2002. During the making of their 3rd album, “This is War” they were embroiled in a legal battle against EMI when they tried to sign with a new label. Leto documented the making of the album and the legal battle. He turned it into the 2012 documentary film “Artifact.” The tour to support the album landed “30 Seconds to Mars” with the Guinness World Record for the longest ever concert tour by a rock band.
5. Their song “Up in the Air” Premiered from the International Space Station. It was the first ever commercial copy of music to be sent to space. The video is one of many directed by Bartholomew Cubbins, Leto’s pseudonym he uses for the videos/films he directs.
6. He’d Marry Kanye West. In an interview he was asked if he would rather marry Kanye or Kim, he chose Kanye. Watch to clip to find out why.
7. He’s a Tree Hugger. Leto became a popular meme when a picture of him hugging a tree went viral. Leto is not only a real life tree hugger but he’s a global ambassador for the World Wildlife Fund. He is involved with Habitat for Humanity, Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, The Nature Conservancy, and many more organizations.
8. He was engaged to Cameron Diaz. He was rumored to have briefly dated Lindsay Lohan, Lupita Nong’o, Paris Hilton, and many others.
9. He’s a Venture Capitalist. When he’s not acting, directing, singing, producing, performing, or wooing beautiful women Leto is a venture capitalist. He’s invested in over fifty tech investments. He’s invested in Reddit, Uber, and Airbnb just to name a few.
10. He’s an Oscar Winner. “Leto’s performance as a transgender woman in Dallas Buyers Club (2013) earned him an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Supporting Actor.” Leto is considered to be a method actor, known for his constant devotion to and research of his roles. He often remains completely in character for the duration of the shooting schedules of his films, even to the point of adversely affecting his health. He is also known to be selective about his film roles.”
The Joker is the first role Leto has taken on since winning the Oscar. That’s huge. Fans of the character can expect him to give all he has to the role.
Recently, Leto signed on for his second project. He will play a former imprisoned American Soldier in “The Outsider.” This is just the second film Leto has signed on to do since winning an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his role in 2013’s Dallas Buyers Club.
Suicide Squad Trailer: